Richard has over 17 years’ experience in a wide variety of high value commercial and financial disputes, most involving an international dimension. He has extensive experience of the English courts at first instance and appellate levels and in several overseas jurisdictions as well as major international arbitral institutions.
Richard advises international and domestic corporations, governments and individuals in a wide range of commercial litigation and arbitration matters. He is regularly instructed on cases involving allegations of civil fraud and has years of experience advising on business crime issues, including investigations and compliance.
Richard focuses on the detail of each of his cases whilst not losing sight of the bigger picture. He works hard to help his clients achieve their objectives through courts and tribunals, whilst also looking for opportunities to negotiate advantageous outcomes before trial. He is recognised as an ‘excellent choice’ and a ‘thoughtful, intellectual lawyer with great litigation instincts’ by Legal 500.
Richard holds degrees in law from the Universities of Cambridge and Sheffield. Since qualifying as a solicitor in 2006, Richard has practised at the international law firms Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, DLA Piper and Addleshaw Goddard, from where he joined Enyo in 2019.
- BP plc at first instance and the Court of Appeal in relation to a USD70 million dispute concerning the interpretation of a crude oil financing contract. The case was the first to be taken to the Court of Appeal from the Shorter Trials Scheme.
- Deutsche Bank AG in one of the major cases from the 2008 financial crash, concerning multi-billion dollar allegations made in parallel proceedings in London and New York.
- RBS in connection with the litigation to eject Liverpool FC’s former owners following their attempt to circumvent the bank’s security.
- A major international bank in relation to an alleged default under a letter of credit connected with the application of international sanctions.
- A Middle Eastern bank and real estate company in a major dispute involving allegations of widespread financial impropriety.
- A European multinational in a four-year, USD2.5 billion dollar ICC arbitration concerning delays to a major commodities asset and associated JV issues.
- Sellers in a GBP50 million private equity transaction alleged to have committed fraud to inflate the deal price.
- A Gibraltar-registered entity in a USD30 million dollar LCIA arbitration concerning a significant disputed shareholding in a UK listed company.
- An offshore fund in derivative proceedings and related injunctions concerning an unlawful board takeover of a FTSE 250 company.
- Brookfield Construction in the Wembley Stadium litigation, one of the largest construction cases ever to come before the English courts.
- Advising a Middle Eastern telecoms company in connection with losses sustained following the '2G scam', one of the largest corruption scandals in Indian history.
- Sellers of a major fashion importer in connection with allegations of breach of post-completion covenants.
- A major Japanese heavy engineering multi-national in English proceedings concerning the international supply of turbochargers.
- Acting for an industrial products manufacturer defending an application for an injunction to restrain the commencement of UK operations.
- Obtaining orders for the taking of evidence in England in support of US proceedings for a major international pharmaceutical company.
- The Government of the Republic of Cyprus in judicial review proceedings regarding whether UK flights could operate to the northern part of Cyprus.
- A UK airline in relation to termination of its operating agreement at a regional UK airport.
- An international airline in connection with the requirements of Annex 13 of the International Civil Aviation Convention following a fatal accident.
- Advising a UK entity in connection with overseas criminal proceedings arising from the 1MDB corruption scandal.
- Acting for individuals and a corporate shareholder in connection with an investigation by the Takeover Panel concerning mandatory offer requirements under the UK Takeover Code.
- Acting for a former CEO in relation to FCA and Official Receiver proceedings and UK Parliamentary Select Committee inquiries arising from one of the highest profile UK corporate collapses in recent years.
- Advising a UK manufacturer of scientific instruments in relation to SFO and DoJ enforcement proceedings related to instances of international bribery.
- Acting for a fund in relation to SFO inquiries arising from the Cypriot banking crisis.
- Advising a FTSE 100 company on a major internal investigation in relation to issues of widespread international corruption.
- Advising in relation to the litigation and financial crime aspects of numerous M&A and Private Equity transactions in various sectors, including oil & gas, commodities, financial services, consumer products and healthcare.