Matt has broad experience acting in complex and high-value international commercial disputes, with a particular focus advising on claims involving banks and financial institutions. Matt regularly acts in cases before the English High Court and the major arbitral institutions. Matt is recognised as a Next Generation Partner for International Arbitration in Legal 500.
Matt has experience acting for and against high-net worth individuals, corporations and state institutions, and has advised at every step of the dispute resolution process, from initial case assessment through to enforcement of judgments and awards. Matt has experience working as lead lawyer, and also as part of a large team in high-profile disputes overlapping several jurisdictions.
Matt trained with an international law firm, where he undertook secondments to a leading energy company and to an insurer. Matt joined Enyo Law as an associate in May 2014, rising to partner May 2022.
- A portfolio manager in a high value dispute with one of the world's leading asset management companies, in connection with a significant overtrade in bond futures contracts.
- An international bank on the impact of sanctions on irrevocable letters of credit issued in favour of the sellers of fuel oil.
- A Portuguese investment bank to recover funds advanced under an open-ended credit agreement, related to various telecommunication projects in Spain.
- An investor in a dispute with the operator of a major financial trading platform, to recover losses arising from several guaranteed multi-leg orders which were incorrectly executed by the platform.
- The Libyan Investment Authority (LIA) in its USD2.1 billion claim against Société Générale SA for rescission of a series of complex, financial derivative transactions.
The Libyan Investment Authority -v- Credit Suisse International & Ors  EWHC 375 (Comm): https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Comm/2016/375.html
- The LIA in its USD1 billion claim against Goldman Sachs International for rescission of financial derivative transactions.
The Libyan Investment Authority -v- Goldman Sachs International  EWHC 2530:https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ch/2016/2530.html
- A port developer in a long-running USD2 billion claim in ICC arbitration proceedings, in connection with the construction of a commodities transhipment terminal, and advising in connection with related proceedings in the Dutch Enterprise Chamber.
- A Hungarian marine, energy and civil engineering firm in its substantial claim against a vessel owner brought in arbitration under the SCMA Rules in Singapore.
- Advising on a potential HKIAC arbitration claim against a German EPC contractor for the suspension of works on the construction of a gas processing and LNG plant.
- A state-owned oil and gas company on arbitration strategies relating to a Latin American oil field.
- A high net worth Russian businessman on an anti-suit injunction application in favour of an LCIA arbitration, arising from a USD2 billion dispute.
- A high net worth Ukrainian businessman in connection with a worldwide freezing order, and defending related applications for disclosure.
- One of the largest orange juice suppliers in the world, defending a substantial claim for the payment of several thousand tonnes of undelivered orange juice by-product.
- An off-shore Guernsey unit trust in a professional negligence claim against a firm of chartered surveyors related to a commercial property development.